After some last-minute construction, I’ve finished what I can of my identity project. The studio tack I used was a total failure, so for the re-do before finals I intend to figure out how to make things stick better (spray adhesive?). As I said during group discussion, I’ve been spread way too thin in the last weeks to give this project the attention it deserves (my capstone just finished up last night, after a 38-consecutive-hour final editing process). For now, I’m really displeased by the six-pack (mostly because the panels won’t stay on and the die cuts don’t match up) but I’m very satisfied with the labels. I definitely want to revisit the box, and fix it up before the end of semester, but right now I think I need to take a break from this project for awhile.
Here are the final pieces (I still haven’t switched out the revised, thicker logo on the stationery, but it’s on the box):
Overall, I wish I had had more time to develop this project some more, as well as materials that worked better. I did enjoy exploring the different materials used in creating an identity, and finding out my own creative process. For example: I learned to trust my instincts on decisions. The color scheme began with me choosing three arbitrary colors and using them together (the red, cream and black used for the stout) and then staring at them until things came to mind that the colors reminded me of (brick, industry, blue-collar work…which sparked the ideas for the beer names). From there I chose two other colors with a similar feeling. I can’t really describe the reasoning, but I liked the intuition and ran with it.
I think I could really like branding design if I had the time to devote to it (which would definitely not be a problem without a senoir project taking over).