Concept Narrative: Brand Identity + Package Design

Definining my brand began back in February, and has since been the foundation on which I base all my other decisions. my brand is a New England brewery that values the blue-collar, hard-working, blood-sweat-and-tears men and women of America. It produces micro-brewed beverages for those who want to sit back and enjoy a cold, flavorful drink after a hard day on the job.

This essence initially brought to mind granite and etching stone. I wanted to incorporate a Celtic element to my design, but eventually that was simplified into my logo (the loops in the B & R were inspired by a Celtic Knot). But as I thought more about the audience, I decided to go with light wood planking instead of stone. It added a warmer tone to contrast better against an all-black logo, and still made the brand look industrial and simple. This worked well in transferring the logo onto wooden kegs and a brewery gate. It also came in handy later when I began constructing the six-pack. I went with a template I found for a hexagonal pack, which I thought would work well. Roses are radial forms, so I thought a hexagon would mimic that better than a simple rectangular box. Then, when I added the wood panels, it began to look like a keg again. I think the wood was a good decision that helped solidify the identity as a whole.

I went from logo design, to how the logo looked on different-sized objects, to created a package for my brand. It was logical to make the jump from brewery to beer, so I immediately looked into six-pack cases. I created a few mock-up cases to figure out how the template looked, and then worked on resizing and printing a tiled template so that it actually fit 6 bottles comfortably (the original template only came out to be about 3 inches high). But as I looked at examples of other beer brands, I realized that I couldn’t design a case without having bottles to put in it. So I began designing labels. This gradually took precedence over the box. Before I knew it the project was due in a week and I had three distinct labels, but still no design for the case. So I spent 6 hours in Carnegie last Wednesday, going in between capstone editing work and designing/constructing the case. It went well until I had to glue the paper onto each panel; the studio tack we thought would hold, in fact, did not. It was very frustrating to get so far and only find this out when I didn’t have enough time to go buy different materials.

I definitely learned the value of multi-tasking during this project. I also learned that trusting my instincts is important (as in the wood and the color scheme for my labels — both came from decisions that I can’t really describe, but seemed inherently correct). I also learned to test materials well before they’re due.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: